Solar Ovens

Thursday, October 11, 2012

Antelope beanless chili

I tried making some of our antelope into chili.  This way I have meals ready to go, without having to store the ingredients to make it into something.  It also gave me a lot more jars for the amount of meat.  15 lbs of meat gave me 24 jars of chili.  This would work with ground beef too of course.  Note:  rather than peeling & blending tomatoes, I bought a #10 can of tomato puree at Costco for $2.60.  For all the work that saved me, it was a bargain!  There was about 10 cups of puree in the can.  This was pretty tasty!

5 lbs ground beef
2 cups chopped onions
1 clove minced garlic
6 cups canned tomatoes and juice
1/2 cup chili powder
1 1/2 tablespoons salt
1 hot red pepper, finely chopped
1 teaspoon ground cumin seed


In the bottom of a large stockpot, brown the ground beef, onions and garlic. Drain well any excess fat. This is an important step as high fat content foods don't keep as well canned; additionally the fat has a tendency to cause a higher proportion of jar seals to fail during processing.
Add the remaining ingredients and reduce heat to a simmer. Continue to cook about 20 minutes. Skim off any excess fat.

Put in jars & process pints 1 hr 15 min.
I'm told this is a recipe from the Blue Ball book of canning, but I'm not sure.  I also couldn't find a hot red pepper, so I used a jalapeno.  

No comments:

Post a Comment