Solar Ovens

Thursday, January 5, 2012

Solar Oven Creme Brulee



I made this from a crock pot creme brulee recipe.  It wasn't quite the best I've had, but better than a lot I'd paid $5 for at a restaurant.  It was quite tasty!  It was easier to get it to cook right than any stove top ones I've tried.  And made entirely out of my food storage (stored eggs from chickens, see post in July on how to do that), thanks to shelf stable whipping cream (see previous posts).  How cool is it to be able to have creme brulee, with no electricity & living off your food storage?!



--2 cups heavy cream
--5 egg yolks
--1/2 cup sugar (baker's or fine sugar is better so the granules disappear)
--1 T good vanilla

--1/4 cup raw sugar (for topping, add later, I used regular)


--whip the 5 egg yolks in a medium-sized bowl
--slowly add the cream and baking sugar while mixing
--add the vanilla

Pour into ramekins.  Put in larger dish, & fill that 1/2 way up sides of ramekins with water.  I cooked them for about 2 1/2 hours in the SOS oven.  You can put sugar on top & brown with torch (or on broil in the oven) if desired.
MMMMmmmm!

No comments:

Post a Comment