Solar Ovens

Thursday, July 19, 2012

Dandelion Jam!


http://www.simplycanning.com/dandelion-jelly.html#axzz1t77aczfG
We were caught up in an odd urge to make dandelion jam the other day.  We followed the recipe on the above site.
It only took me & the 2 boys less than 10 min to pick enough.  Getting the green parts off, so I'd have just the yellow left is another matter.  That is tedious!  I was doing it by myself & it took me an hour to get the 4 cups necessary!
I was quite nervous about tasting it.  Honestly, I'm not a big vegetable lover.  But this stuff was GOOD.  It was kind of like honey, but with a bit of tart.  The word to that came to my mind is that it tasted like summer!  After the work was done & we tasted it, I thought it was worth all the work.  Probably even more so to open some of this on a cold winter day!
I love that I can make this with something that grows free all around.  Now I'm debating...I spend a lot of money every summer on weed-b-gone trying to get rid of the dandelions in the lawn.  But my rabbits love dandelions, & now we do too.  But am I quite ready to turn the lawn over to them?  I'm just not sure!
I did have one trouble with the recipe.  The jam didn't jell.  I've never had that happen before.  Looking online, it seems to be a common problem with dandelion jam.  I tried some online instructions for adding more pectin, & that didn't work either.  So I was left with tasty dandelion syrup (using recipe posted above).  I finally tried the instructions in the pectin for adding another box if it didn't set.  This worked, but it was a much smaller amount of jam than your usual recipe.  I'll try it again when I'm up to doing the dandelions again; I think I'll double the pectin in the recipe & see if that works.
For some reason I found making this to be hugely satisfying.  I'm so glad we did it & excited to share it!



No comments:

Post a Comment