Solar Ovens

Monday, November 14, 2011

New Self Sufficiency book



I just read through this book with great excitement.  Overall, it was pretty good.  I learned a few things I'm very glad to know.  I really like that it is written by someone who has been using this knowledge in real life.  Like I was glad to hear you could water your chickens in the winter by giving them snow if necessary.  The straw cellaring section was interesting as well.
But some of the things I would have liked a lot more info.  I guess the author was mostly trying to tell us about skills, & leaving it to us to research further into the things we want to learn.  But a lot of it I already knew, & was hoping the book would teach me how to do.  There are a lot of pioneer stories mixed in.  While they were interesting; I would have preferred more instruction.  I also think he overdid the personal stories a bit.  I was also surprised that when he talked about storing eggs long term, he didn't have any of the methods I've found most in my searches (such as mineral oil http://singlemompreparedness.blogspot.com/2011/07/preserving-eggs-without-refrigeration.html)
But I did make a list of things I'd like to learn more about, & learned some things I'm very glad to know.
So while this wasn't as complete as I'd like, I really am glad I have it in my survival library.  I also think it would make a great gift for those just getting started.

No comments:

Post a Comment