Solar Ovens

Monday, September 19, 2011

Solar Oven French Bread

I love this French Bread recipe.  It has not many ingredients, & it's simple to make.  I tried some that were much more complicated, but they weren't any better than this one.  This one is tasty!  I have to be careful, if I make it with some garlic butter, we won't eat whatever we were having with it, we just eat bread!
Since this bread cooks at a high temp (450), I was curious if it would work in a solar oven.  The oven got to about 300.  It took 1 1/2 hours (these were small loaves, big ones might take longer). It wasn't really browned on the outside like in the regular oven.  But it was tasty!  In fact I think I like the taste better!
This makes 2 regular size loaves, or 4 small solar oven loaves.

2 Tbs yeast
2 cups warm water
2 tsp salt
1 tsp sugar
4 1/2-5 cups bread flour

Dissolve yeast in warm water.  Add salt, sugar & 2 c flour.  Beat until smooth.  Stir in enough flour to form soft dough.  Knead until smooth & elastic, 6-8 min.  Rise 1 hour.  Divide in half, shape into loaves.  Cover & rise 30 min.  Make slashes on top.  Bake at 450 15-20 min, or in solar oven until done.  Can brush egg whites on top before baking.

1 comment:

  1. This really is so yummy! You won't be able to stop eating it!

    ReplyDelete