Solar Ovens

Wednesday, August 17, 2011

Homemade Thousand Island Dressing

I like to have salad a lot in the summer on hot days.  But I've noticed an increase in lettuce prices.  You can still get a bag of lettuce for $1, but it's a smaller bag than last year.  So this year I grew some lettuce, & that's saving lots of $.
Today I got a serious urge for Thousand Island dressing.  The trouble is, the stuff in the bottles is NASTY.  The only good place to get it is at a restaurant.  But if you're a single mom too, you know how often eating out is an option...never.  I finally clued in & looked online to see how hard it would be to make my own.  Score!  I found a recipe that is easy and VERY tasty.  I also like that I can make as much or little as I want.  I should have searched for this years ago!  And the final bonus is it's cheaper than the bottles too.  I love having things that are cheaper & taste better!  *I did add an extra splash of vinegar after tasting it, to give it a bit more zing*

1/2 cup mayonnaise
2 TBS ketchup
1 TBS white vinegar
2 tsp sugar
2 tsp sweet pickle relish
1 tsp finely minced white onions
1/8 tsp salt
dash black pepper

Combine all ingredients (I mixed them in the blender).  Cover & refrigerate for several hours, stirring occasionally, so that sugar dissolves & flavors bend.  (I forgot to stir occasionally, & can't tell, but you might want to).

No comments:

Post a Comment