Solar Ovens

Friday, August 19, 2011

Solar Oven pizza!

I just had to try pizza in the solar oven.  I'd hate to never have one of my favorite foods!  I'd gotten the pepperoni & cheese on a really good deal.  I made the crust.  It was tasty!  The only thing I'd change is putting less crust; it poofed up more than we expected so was thicker than we wanted.
Here's the crust recipe for those interested.  It's supposed to make 2 12" pizzas thin crust.

2 1/2 cups flour
1 package dry yeast (or 2 1/4 tsp)
1/4 tsp salt
1 cup warm water
1/2 TBS oil

Mix a little sugar into warm water.  Sprinkle yeast one top.  Wait 10 min until gets all foamy.  Add flour, salt & oil.  Combine.  Knead for 6-8 min until dough is smooth & elastic (add a bit more flour if needed).  Cover & let rest 20-30 min.  Lightly grease pizza pan.  Sprinkle with a bit of cornmeal (optional).  Divide dough in half.  Place dough on pan & pat it with your fingers until it streches over whole pan.  Try to make it thicker around the edge.  If desired, pre-bake at 425 for 10 min.  Spread with toppings, & bake at 425 for 10-20 min until bubbly & hot.

I did precook the crust in the solar oven for 10 min.  I cooked it in the solar oven for about 20 min & it was heated through & cheese melted.  I used 1/3 of the dough on the small cookie sheet that fits in my Global oven.  But as I said, I should have used even less to make it thin crust.

No comments:

Post a Comment