Solar Ovens

Saturday, July 30, 2011

Apricot Syrup

When I found a good deal on apricots, I bought a few too many.  So decided to try apricot syrup.  I had some empty jars, & it didn't take too many ingredients.  I've always thought having syrups & jams around is a great food storage idea.  Having them to put on your bread, all that plain oatmeal you've stored, or anything else could be a real moral booster!  And something I think I'm going to be very grateful to have.  I couldn't find a recipe that was exactly what I wanted so I improvised a bit with recipes, & what I had in the house.  This was tasty!

7 cups apricots peeled & pureed in blender (put in boiling water for 30 seconds, & then in cold water.  Peels should come off easily)
1 1/2 cups water
7 cups sugar
1/4 cup lemon juice
2 TBS light corn syrup
8 oz can pineapple, pureed in blender.

Put everything into pot & stir over medium high heat until comes to a boil.  Boil & stir for 5 min.  Pour into jars.  (I used pint because that's what I had, but would have preferred something smaller).  Process for 15 min. in boiling water canner.  (note:  this is not an extension service approved canning recipe.  so eat fresh or can at your own risk)
Filled 6 pint jars.  Yummers!

No comments:

Post a Comment