Solar Ovens

Friday, July 22, 2011

Cheap, tasty homemade food storage ice cream!


We love homemade ice cream. But it's such a pain to get the ice, crush it, rock salt, etc. So I was really excited when someone gave me one of these Cusinart ice cream makers.
You keep the bowl in the freezer. When you want ice cream, you put it on the machine, pour the ice cream in, & turn it on. 20 min later...delicousness!!
We made some ice cream last night that I realized was not only out of food storage, but super cheap as well! It's always good to have a treat to boost our spirits, even before the big emergencies strike.

Lemon Sorbet:
2 cups sugar
2 cups water
1 1/2 cups lemon juice

Combine sugar & water in saucepan & bring to a boil over medium-high heat. REduce heat to low & simmer without stirring until sguar dissoves, about 3-5 min. Cool completely. This is called simple syrup & can be made ahead & kept in fridge until ready to use.
When cool, add lemon juice, stir & put in machine.

This was really zingy tasting, but we loved it. Especially after we added fresh raspberries from our yard! MMMM! Next time I may try crushing the raspberries ahead & adding them before freezing.

And while I do have some lemon juice in my food storage, I also have another cool product I could use for this. It's a powder that makes lemon juice! I got mine at Alpine Food Storage, but Amazon has some as well. We love lemon juice, but you can't grow lemon trees in Utah, so this is a good way to keep it stored.


No comments:

Post a Comment