Solar Ovens

Tuesday, July 19, 2011

Chicken Tomato Alfredo in solar oven


I got this wonderful recipe from my cousin Jessica. It's one of our favorites. So we decided to see if we could make it completely out of our food storage & in our solar oven.

Ingredients:
8 oz dried spiral pasta (about 1/2 bag)
16 oz heavy whipping cream
16 oz salsa
4-6 oz shredded cheddar cheese
12 oz defrosted, precooked, diced chicken (fajita flavor is good)
sour cream (for garnish)
diced tomatoes (for garnish)
diced avocado (for garnish)
shredded cheese (for garnish)


Directions:
1. Cook pasta and set aside.
2. In a large nonstick saute pan, heat salsa and whipping cream until hot. Add shredded cheese until desired thickness is reached.
3. Add diced chicken to the sauce and cook until heated through. Then add cooked pasta.
4. Serve alone or with any or all of the suggested toppings. (We used diced tomato, diced avocado, sour cream and shredded cheddar cheese.)

We didn't use any of the suggested garnish's. I got some water hot in the solar oven (it didn't boil, just hot), & cooked the pasta. It took about 30 min. Then I mixed everything else (I used our canned chicken & cheese), & let it sit in the solar oven for a few hours. It really doesn't need very long, just to heat it through, but I wasn't ready for dinner for a couple hours. Very tasty! The salsa gives this recipe most of it's flavor so you want a good salsa. I used my home canned salsa.
And what about, you may ask, the whipping cream? How do you have whipping cream in your food storage. With shelf stable whipping cream! One of my favorite luxury food storage items! It requires no refrigeration to store. If you want it to whip, it does need to be refrigerated beforehand. But in recipes such as this, you can use it right off the shelf. I know people who have used it up to 4 years after the expiration date & said it was fine. I've used it a year past myself, & could tell no difference. I get mine at www.alpinefoodstorage.com, which happens to be 10 min from me & has some of my favorite food storage products. Amazon also carries it.


Can you imagine having something this tasty when you're living off food storage? Sure beats rice & beans! And it's a great way to use your canned chicken & all that pasta you've bought at sales!


No comments:

Post a Comment